Bookmark and Share

Deed Poll Helpline

A comprehensive guide to changing

your name by Deed Poll in the UK

About Deed Polls

Changing Your Name

Reasons for a Name Change


Name Change upon Divorce


Time Saving Tip: The quickest and easiest way to change your name in the UK is to

Apply For Your Deed Poll Online.


Following a divorce, you may decide to revert to your maiden name. This can be done by using your Marriage Certificate and Decree Absolute or through a Deed Poll. Most government organisations are willing to accept the Marriage Certificate and Decree Absolute as proof of you reverting back to your maiden name. However, some financial institutions will not accept the Decree Absolute, and therefore a Deed Poll may be required.

It will not be necessary to show departments, organisations and companies who knew you before marriage your Marriage Certificate, as they will have your maiden name on file. In these circumstances, your Decree Absolute will usually be sufficient to change records back into your maiden name.

If for whatever reason you are unable to change over some of your records using your Marriage Certificate and Decree Absolute then it would be necessary to apply for a Deed Poll. The Deed Poll will enable you to change over all your documents without any problems and is accepted by all UK government departments, organisations and companies. 

Some people may decide, after divorce, they wish to change their first name or middle names. This would need to be completed through a Deed Poll. Title changes can also be shown on your Deed Poll document along with any new forenames or surnames you wish to take.

If you have children, you may also wish to change their surname to your surname or a double-barrelled surname. A Deed Poll can be used to change a child's name provided everyone with parental responsibility agrees.

If you have misplaced your Decree Absolute, a certified copy can be obtained from the Principal Registry of the Family Division, Decree Absolute Section, First Avenue House, 42-49 High Holborn, London, WC1V 6NP. It is also possible to contact the County Court where your divorce was registered and they will be able to provide you with a copy of the document. If you need to obtain a copy of your Marriage Certificate, this can be arranged through contacting the General Register Office.


Time Saving Tip: The quickest and easiest way to change your name in the UK is to

Apply For Your Deed Poll Online.



Copyright, All Rights Reserved.  

Site Map    Website Terms of Use    Contact Us   Glossary